Picked up my NEW laptop today and I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! I couldn’t wait to cut open the box, pull out the contents and gaze at its untouched beauty.
What is it about shiny, NEW, things that create so much excitement? What is the allure? Is it the smell? Is it the process of opening the packaging? Is it being the first to experience its joy and wonder? Or being the first to explore its possibilities?
We have such inexplicable emotions tied to NEW things compared to OLD things. It’s a high like no other. Some examples:
- Driving a NEW car – a tantalizing smell like no other!
- Starting a NEW job – new opportunities, new friends, new challenges
- Slipping on NEW shoes – What a thrill to show them off to the world!
- Kissing a NEW lover -Pitter patter pitter patter
- Unwrapping NEW school/office supplies – Pads of paper, notebooks, calendars, post-it notes and pens
- Bringing home a NEW baby – I am addicted to Dreft!
- Sporting a NEW haircut – Can’t stop running your own fingers through it
- Stuffing a NEW handbag – Where will everything fit?
- Constructing a NEW home – The endless choices and possibilities, the fragrance of new wood and carpet
- Cracking open a NEW book – Especially hard-bounds!
Is this the same addiction the European explorers had that led them to America? Did we inherit this insatiable appetite for NEW?
What are some of your “NEW” addictions? Why do you hunger for “NEW”? What are your thoughts on the Addiction to NEW?
This is Day 4 of The 28 Day Blogging Challenge
Photos courtesy of Sony, Flickr, Trasosworld_Photography, and Caveman_92223